- Buyer must be at least 21 years of age and must have no felonies, violent misdemeanors, or dishonorable discharges. If you can legally purchase a handgun, you should have no problems purchasing and transferring a NFA device.
- Obtain two(2) recent 2″x 2″ passport photographs, these may be obtained from most pharmacies or retailers having a photo kiosk (cost approximately $10.00). Obtain two(2) FBI approved and completed fingerprint cards from your local sheriff’s department (cost approximately $10.00). Bring these with you to Duncan Gun Shop where they will complete the appropriate paperwork necessary for successful transfer. NOTE: Changes to BATFE NFA law in July 2016 now require persons requesting transfers on a “trust” provide additional documentation. All persons with authority named in the trust must also sign paperwork and provide photographs and fingerprints the same as the purchaser.
- Tax rates for NFA transfers are currently $5.00 for “any other weapon ”, or $200.00 for Sound Suppressors, Short Barreled Rifles, Short Barreled Shotguns or Machine guns (select fire capable firearms). These documents will then be sent by Duncan Gun Shop to the BATF where they will conduct a FBI background check.
- The BATF will send back an approved copy of the Form 4 that now has the tax stamp indicating that the tax transfer has been paid.
- Final step, when picking up your merchandise at Duncan Gun Shop you will fill out a standard 4473 (as with any gun purchase) and then you are ready to take it home along with the Form 4.
- Make copies of the Form 4 and make sure it is with you at all times you have your new Class III item.
Note: Any persons interested in pursuing Class III items should be aware that unlike obtaining a firearm purchase permit through your local sheriff department, this procedure may take as little as 45 – 60 days to as long as 6 to 9 months and in some cases even more. Be patient, we assure you, it will be worth the wait.