Intro to Combat Pistols
- Core Skills-
- Safety: Four Cardinal Rules as well as Range Safety
- 7 Fundamentals of Marksmanship: Stance, sight alignment, sight picture, grip, trigger control, breathing, and follow through. This skill set will be applied in a dry fire application as well as with live fire on the range
- Presentation of the weapon: Weapon ready positions, trigger prep, head alignment, and finger placement on the trigger
- The Draw: Standard drawing positions, practical applications and common drawing errors.
- -Loading and unloading: Administrative loading/unloading of firearm for daily carry
- Reloading (Tactical and Emergency): Breaking down steps of both types of reloads in detail, discuss practical applications, and live drills for all scenario
- Malfunctions: The three most common types of malfunctions will be discussed and induced on a live fire range. Students will understand malfunctions that can occur and learn the proper techniques for clearing the malfunction and getting back into the fight.
2. Basic Skills
- Driving the weapon: Discuss and apply need for speed, leading with eyes to engage multiple targets, target discrimination, being aggressive, driving our stance with our legs, eye movement/not head movement, common mistakes and testing combat stance
- Turns and facing movements” We will discuss and apply the following: Safety during movements, leading with our eyes, turning 90 degrees (strong and support side) turning 180 degrees (strong and support side), drawing as you turn and alternate positions
- Strong and support hand only manipulations and engagements- Strong/support draws from the holster, strong/support reloading, strong/support malfunctions and strong/support marksmanship.
- Use of cover/shooting positions: We will discuss and apply the use of various shooting positions (standing, kneeling and prone) utilizing various forms of cover.
- Shooting on the move: Students will be instructed and apply various movement drills on a live fire range.
This course is taught by Jason Welborn, who has 15 years of law enforcement background, 6 years blackwater, afghanistan and iraq training cell with CQB pistol and carbine work
Following completion of the course, advanced combat pistol courses can be taken.
Follow us on Facebook and Instagram at Duncan Gun Shop (336-838-4851) and/or Dark